2nd June 2020
Easy chicken and bacon with homemade BBQ sauce
This recipe from our Head Chef Bruce D'Aloia, is a twist on classic barbecue chicken, wrapping the chicken breast in smoked bacon for extra richness and smoke. Blended with the classic sweet and tangy BBQ sauce, this is a popular dish from BBQ Week in May throughout the year.
- 300ml tomato ketchup
- 50ml Worcestershire sauce (Henderson's Relish can be used instead)
- 100g soft brown sugar (dark or light)
- 100ml malt vinegar (cider vinegar, red or white vinegar will also work)
- 100ml water
- 1tbsp garlic powder
- 1tbsp onion powder
- 1tbsp salt
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2tbsp black pepper
- 1/2tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 chicken breasts
- 6 strips smoked streaky bacon
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
For the sauce:
- In a heavy bottommed pot, over a medium/high heat, add the water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar.
- Bring to boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. If using granulated sugar add a few minutes longer in the first step of the BBQ sauce recipe to ensure the sugar has dissolved.
- Tip: Dried or fresh chillies can be added here for extra heat or more sugar can be added if you prefer a sweeter barbecue sauce.
- Turn the heat down to a medium and gently simmer for 15 to 20 minutes (or until it is reduced by half). Cooking slowly over a low heat for a long time gives a more intense flavour.
- Once reduced, add the mustard and ketchup and continue simmering for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently to keep from sticking or burning. Turn the heat down if you find it is simmering too fast or starting to stick.
- Mix in the onion & garlic powder along with the salt, pepper, and smoked paprika and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let the sauce cool until ready to use.
For the chicken:
- Individually wrap 3 strips of the bacon around each of the chicken breasts, slightly overlapping each slice.
- Season each breast with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Then cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up the bacon.
- Remove chicken from the fridge, lightly rub with vegetable oil and place on a hot grill, turning every few minutes.
- With a basting brush or spoon lightly coat each breast with BBQ sauce and continue to cook, turning every few minutes and basting the chicken with BBQ sauce every time you turn.
- Cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 75C and until the BBQ sauce has nicely gone all sticky and coated the breast.